Friday, September 10, 2010

Vermont


I cruised around the eastern part of the Adirondacks in the morning and grabbed lunch at a lake side restaurant in Lake George that actually had GF stuff on their menu. They also let me have Oreo on the patio. I had some delicious hot wings and relaxed by the lake before taking off to Vermont. Vermont is similar to NY in that its surrounded by beautiful mountains with amazing farms everywhere you look. I found my campsite--a small one maintained by the Corps of Engineers. The couple in the registration office were SO NICE! They let me upgrade to a lean-to (on account of my tent issues) and didn't even charge me! Then they loaded up some extra firewood for me. I just love the people up here - everyone is so nice!
I found a nearby hardware store where I bought some seam sealer (the one in my tent had solidified as it had been hanging around for over 10 years, some kinda spray to make anything waterproof, and a tarp in case the previous 2 were crack-pipe dream and waste of $8. Interestly enought the guy at the hardware store and I chatted for a bit and he went on and on about how warm it was going to be the next day (which is today - which its about 60, grey, raining, and CHLLY). We talked about the Dragon (129) - he is a motorcyclist and was down there this summer riding it. Interesting how these things come up. But anyhow - I stopped and picked up some meat and headed back to camp. I made Kabobs! Since I'm kinda a nardo - I managed to burn all the tips of my fingers trying to cook these things on the fire. But it was worth it, who really needs feeling in their fingertips anyway... I slept like a baby in my warm dry lean-to!

I drove up Hwy 100 through the middle of Vermont and stopped at a few places along the way (including cute coffee shop with Wi-Fi I wrote about earlier). I just have one question for today. What is it about gift shops, moccasins, and fudge?? Why do these things ALWAYS seem to come together? And how did this phenomenon become so pervasive (I think we saw it out west last summer). I'm curious. gonna have to research the history of fudge & moccasins when I get home. And I always thought it was a Pigeon Forge/Gatlinburg thing...
Makes me want some leather footies and fudge, eh? Here are some other interesting stops along the way:


Other than that Vermont was very uneventful. It was beautiful, though - I saw several towns and villages i would love to live in some day. Its the kind of place where I could buy a cool old house and run a cute little shop out of the barn in the back and retire happy. I will just have to put it on my list of possibilities.

1 comment:

My Family said...

Haha...gigi isn't so odd in her mocs in she now? BTW-find her some cute ones, will ya?