Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Maine - Acadia National Park, Part I

Shortly after i entered the state of Maine I knew I was in love... Why? Because one of the first stops was at a small bakery along the road in Mexico, Maine, where they made all Gluten free goodies! I had to stop! I purchased 2 freshly made muffins - one strawberry and the other apple cinnamon. I ate the strawberry one in about .01 seconds - it was amazing. made with fresh strawberries. I saved the other for breakfast the next day. The couple who own the bakery were very friendly and we talked briefly about gluten free travelling and how we always just end up eating salads when in doubt. They were great!


So, back to Maine...where to begin.. well, I don't know if I mentioned this in my earlier posts, but one of the many reasons why I really enjoyed New Hampshire was because the entire state seemed to smell like a Christmas tree. The good kinda Christmas tree, not the cheap kind. The one that makes you want to drink cocoa and wait for santa kind. So when I got to Maine, specifically when I got to Acadia, I found a little piece of awesome when I got to the shoreline and smelled the lovely smell of the ocean mixed with the happy smell of Christmas trees. It was amazing. for a long time I just sat and enjoyed the gorgeous view (the skies were so blue on this first day), relaxing and soaking in the amazing smells around me. After the few grey days i had in New Hampshire, I really enjoyed the sunshine, even if it was a bit chilly!


I walked along the beach trail for a bit and admired the many views and then hopped back in the car and went around the loop road for some more views before driving up Cadillac Mountain. There are about 6 different trails I could have climbed to make it to this point, but I totally cheated and drove instead (not to make same mistake as Natasha... ; ). After this we drove to Bar Harbor and walked around a bit. There were SO MANY dog friendly stores in this town! i'm going to blame the reason i spent so much money in this town on the fact that I was so greatful these stores allowed me to bring my pooch inside, therefore i felt i needed to be a patron of their wares. Yea. thats it...




After spending a million dollars on a bunch of useless crap (lots of stickers...), i walked along the wharf and found Steumans - which i had found in my Dog-friendly travel book and we got a nice picnic table by the water. As I waited on my food, I caught up on my post card writing for my co-workers and I fed Oreo yummy doggy biscuits (although she had had about a million of them in the stores where everyone offered her treats and hugs -- and she only gave hugs after they gave treats -- my dog is really a whore).

I ordered my very first lobster. I have, in all my 35 years on this planet, NEVER eaten lobster, not even in parts. So I ordered my first one - a whole one...I felt comforted by the fact that my menu included lengthy instructions and my waiter was very friendly and said he'd help me out if I needed it, so I felt relatively safe. I was a bit nervous, thought.
When the lobster came I got so so excited i spilled my butter bowl everywhere. My waiter graciously told me i had committed a my first party foul... but kindly brought me another. He gave me some brief instructions and I went to work. I am proud tos ay that i ate the whole guy - except the green "brain goo" or intestinal poo, whatever it is they refer to as a "delicacy". Not for me, thanks. bleh. In the process of eating the little guy, I also broke my little lobster meat picking fork. I hid it in the midst of my lobster remains so it could be buried along with the corpse, so as not to have the waiter put me down for my 2nd party foul...


I felt full and satisfied with my first day in Maine. After this we headed back to camp and immediately crashed out. Stomach full of the little lobster.

Oh, and there are a few cool things about this place... Thought this pic was pretty cool:


























1 comment:

Natasha said...

Cant believe you cheated and drove up Cadillac Mt! Looks like you had a much prettier day than we did. Glad you stayed away from the lobster rolls!