Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Acadia, Day 3 (Branding Myself to Remind me of its Awesomeness)

Last full day in Acadia! I decided that i would explore the other side of the island and keep my expenses to a minimum (since I've blown my budget in this place!). I drove over toward the Southwest Harbor side of Mount Dessert island and decided to hike around the Long Island area. There were tons of trails winding around the lake so we started there first.






We headed up to Beech Mountain via the west trail. It was another rocky climb to the top, but great exercise and once again Oreo showed her Bad-Assness... We took a bajillion pics at the top and half climbed the fire tower (top closed off) then cruised back down via the south trail. It was super cool! It wasn't as steep at the west side and it had tons and tons of stone cut steps leading to the bottom. I took lots of pictures of the traill cause it just seemed so cool! Along the way I ran into some Park Service guys who were doing some trail maintenance and asked them about the steps - they were built over 70-80 years ago when much of the park was built (I forgot to ask if it was CCC labor like some of the other trails or if it was Rockefeller), but they said they had done very little maintainance other than drainage work since then. cool. Again, they just don't build things like they used to.


We stopped by Bass Harbor lighthouse-the only lighthouse on Mount Dessert island...


Took this pic on the side of the road - thought it was pretty. Everything is pretty here!


We stopped at this place called the Echo lake Ledges. I imagine that people swim here when its not 40 degrees outside! We sat along the edge of the lake and I played with my camera some more as we relaxed.

Proof of my bushy eyebrows:


Oreo chillin on a rock (finally sans-leash!):


We headed back to camp early. I decided to hang in camp instead of spending more money so we stopped at the bath house and I had an amazing $4 shower, bought some firewood and headed back to blackwoods. I made one of my freeze-dried dinners - Seafood Chowder. My favorite! Its amazing how good those freeze-dried camping dinners can be! Just add boiling water, wait 10 minutes and BAM! A good hot meal. Perfect for backpacking and camping when you don't want to lug a bunch of food stuff around. Here is O chillin at camp:


I ate my last 3 marshmallows (yes, I've consumed the WHOLE BAG). The perfect marshmallow:


What happens when an extremely clumsy girl walks around in the dark and trips over the firepit and lands on the hot marshmallow poker that she just cleaned by sticking it in the hot coals. If you can't see - there are some small white streaks on my ring and pinky finger where I branded myself. It hurt like dammit....


Never fear, i think. I'm trained in wilderness First Aid... I can remedy this. I run to the car and grab my wilderness first aid pack and find out what to do for a 1st degree burn. First thing- do not put ice directly on burn. oops. already messed that up. 2nd, apply cold compress and aloe. Don't have either. crap. so much for the wilderness pack. I did have neosporine and i coated myself up and wrapped up my fingers, making sure i kept them above my heart. They throbbed quite a bit, but were okay by morning. Speaking of which - a HUGE storm rained down for hours first thing in the morning. Had to pack up all my gear soaking wet. Its now hanging in the bathroom of my Motel 6 hotel room :)



1 comment:

Natasha said...

Good thing you took wilderness first aid! I havent had to use your suggestion of using Pete's femur bone as a splint yet, but I keep it in mind every time we go backpacking.