Saturday, September 11, 2010

New Hampshire, Part II (Land of Waterfalls)

My second day in New Hampshire can best be summed up in photos. the morning started out being quite beautiful and I was thinking it might not be grey... After stopping at a cute coffee shop in North Conway, I headed down the Kangamancus highway. I wanted to do the whole loop in one day so I settled for a series of small hikes seeking out waterfalls and other points of interest. No super big hikes, yet, but still getting alot of walking in. Most of these places are just off the road or within a mile of the road. Pretty nice stops:

I wanted to dive into these beautiful green pools of water, which would really have sucked since it was about 50 degrees. But they were so pretty and i was mesmerized by the colors and the granite rocks below (I'll spare you my photos of small random chunks of granite and basalt lines and geological nerdy stuff I spent far too much time staring at, as well...


Ok, one geeky point of reference - the photo below you can see the basalt dike running through the granite - that somehow resulted in this geological feature (do not understand the science, but was none-the-less fascinated by the basalt dike)...


The last of the beautiful blue skies for the day -








My feet. Just for fun...



Below is the Basin area. We were not allowed to go to the Flume area - which is the big Varsity type "flume" falls because dogs weren't allowed. Wasn't going to pay to see something cool unless O could come, too. So the rangers directed us to the Basin area - which is the JV flume falls. They were still pretty. We hiked up a ways and caught a few other cascades and waterfalls....







I saw some other falls, but am really just tired of sitting in this coffee shop waiting for the photos to upload. Mostly because I am really anxious to get to Maine. So I just added a few more. This next waterfall was randomly up an old road that now serves as a bike path (i think - although I didn't pull my bike out and ride it -- was too lazy and it was wet and drizzly)...



This cascady thing was right beside the road - It was a cheater falls. no walking involved. There were a few of these. This place is full of waterfalls!!!


After all the driving we headed back to north Conway where I spent too much money. I talked to some cool shop peeps and heard all about their mud games (annual footbal game played in a mud soaked field) that I will be missing on saturday(today) and I found a small little Crepe place that had gluten free crepes (the lady was super nice and we talked about gluten free diets for a while). She also had a patio that was dog friendly so O and I had some dinner while watching the sunset. Oreo had a doggy Whoopie Pie. These Whoopie pies are apparently big here. I have seen them inquite a few places but have yet to find a gluten free one. Oreo enjoyed hers immensely. The nice lady also brought her some water.



This is the owner of the place - making me my special gluten free crepe. It was absolutely delicious, too. I actually squeezed out the last of the chicken and broccoli stuff and just ate the crepe. It tasted bready and its not often I get to eat these types of things. It was a great carb loaded dinner :) I headed back to camp and crashed.


My crepe, wine and sunset:



Now I'm heading to Maine!!! : )










1 comment:

Natasha said...

Love the photos! Glad you werent wearing your chacos in your feet photo;)