Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Acadia, Day 2

On our 2nd day, we started out early - first stopping at the Bar Harbor grocery store for water and coffee - then hitting the part of the loop trail we missed the previous day. It was shaping up to be another pretty day - although a bit cloudier and much cooler. First stop was Sand Beach where i snapped a few pics. This is one of the few "dogs aren't allowed" places in Acadia, so Oreo chilled out in the car for a minute while I ran down to have a look.





After that we hit a few other cool places along the road, including Hunter's beach - a mecca for rock lovers....such as myself. There were so many different types of rocks on this beach - i collected a few for a geek-photo to share with everyone - cause i know everyone appreciates rocks as much as me ; )




Cool rocks:

After that we stopped at Jordan Lake for some hiking. There is a nice flat trail that goes all the way around the lake - but we also went up to what is called the bubble trails - we only were able to get up to the south bubble, there was a great big vertical climb i was afraid to take O on. Other than that, Oreo is an extremely big bad-ass rock climber. She just isn't such a great fan of that stupid leash thing i keep strapping on her. Sometimes she jumps up faster than me and kinda chokes herself. She doesn't like that. Probably as much as I dont like it when she dives down hill and pulls me along with her. I guess we are even in that way.. Along the trail i passed two guys who were leisurely strolling along - one taking photos and the other waiting for him. he struck up a conversation with me and I looked up and had one of those moments where I couldn't remember how to speak. He looked like an underwear model. or, not knowing what he looked like in underwear, a hair model. or a hat model. or something. He asked what Oreo's name was and said she was really pretty and I studdered something stupid and kept on walking. Why would someone so pretty be speaking to me? I smelled like a lobster and I'm pretty sure my eyebrows have started growing back together. They most assuredly had to be gay.

Oreo looking down from the South Bubble:





I played with my camera alot in Acadia. It is one of the most photogenic places I have ever been. I took hundreds of pictures!



This is looking over at the Bubble from the lake trail:



After the approximate 4 mile hike, we stopped at Jordan Lake Restaurant for a snack on their outdoor lawn with a view of our bubble. i decided South Bubble sounded stupid - so I renamed it Erin and Oreo's bubble. Cause we kicked its ass. Oreo was even allowed in the gift shop at the Jordan house. Pretty cool.

After driving around the rest of the loop road - we headed back to camp to change clothes and take a nap before the big Margaret Todd adventure. I was starting to feel a bit exhausted. I feel like i've been going non-stop for over a week and I am starting to feel a little worn out! But will not stop.
We boarded the Margaret Todd at 5pm and met lots of really nice people. Oreo befriended a really nice lady from Texas who was sitting beside us when we set sail. She was one of those ladies who you know is probably an awesome grandma. She was adorable and we talked for a bit about our travels. She said her and her husband's last boat trip was in Africa in a dugout canoe. How cool is this grandma?


Some really cool Harley motorcycle peeps befriended us next. They were those really rich harley people with really expensive Harley clothes and houses all across the country. They just loved Oreo and offered to take our picture...


One of the ladies was so cool, she even gave Oreo lots of stinky cheese (I think it was brie or maybe goat cheese, I'm not sure--but O loved it), even after oreo kinda snapped at her. She just kept feeding her cheese and talking to us. Again, I have never met such nice people. I think Oreo is a magnet for cool people, even when she is not exactly being cool herself. Everyone just thinks she is so cute!

After docking back at Bar Harbor - Oreo and i headed to the Parkside restaurant and had dinner before heading back to camp and crashing...again. Another busy day. So much fun : )

Oreo admiring the sunset:


1 comment:

Dana Vaughn said...

I love reading about your adventure! Your photos are so beautiful and make me want to go to Acadia even more than I already did. Its also been so hot here; I can't believe how bundled up you are :)