Monday, August 14, 2006

A Fuggle Full of Mullets with a Side of Mustache Please

After another brief hiatus I am back to share more daily thoughts. I spent the last week on vacation in Arkansas (visiting family) and spent my weekends in Memphis hsnging out with my good friend Serrabee.

On my first weekend in Memphis, I ate at a really neat restaurant in Midtown called Dish where we ate tapas in a bed (so Sex in the City). It was great! Then we went and had drinks at an old beauty shop turned bar down the street. Midtown is a great place to hang out!

I spent the week taking care of my sister’s four sweet children while she went back to work. I was really nervous about this at first – feeling confident that I had lost all traces of any maternal gene that may have resided in my system. I was terrified that I was going to lose one of them somewhere, catch the house on fire, or something else horrible whereby I could never forgive myself. No fear, I turned into Nanny McPhee (only I hope slightly better looking) and whipped the little kiddos into shape. I didn’t even end up getting tired. Guess me and kids aren’t so bad together after all. Who knew?

The next weekend I was back in Midtown. Saturday night we went to a couple of really great bars in downtown Memphis (including Blue Fin and Automatic Slims Tonga Club), meeting cool new people and listening to local bands perform. It was good times….excellent people watching with reminiscing about the good ole days. We drank some beer made from “Fuggles and Kent Goldings English hops” and had some lively discussions about mullets and their intentions in society.

Afterwards, we headed back to Midtown and hit the local Karaoke bar where it was “frat daddy and his drunk bitchy ho night.” Why is it that whenever I go out – I always end up in a Karaoke bar? I’m going to do an anthropological study where I go to different cities and study the types of clientele that visit the local karaoke bars. I wonder if it differs by region. It’s these things that keep me up at night. Anyway, I was driving so I didn’t have much to drink and after a few rounds of some seriously bad renditions of Nancy Sinatra, Madonna, and Grease Lightening – I made a vow to myself to never, ever do drunk-karaoke again. I know I’ve done it …many…many times, but…no more.

I had a good time on my trip. I learned about things like Blumpkin, ironic wife beaters and “Old School Country Revival” bands and I will never think the same about mustaches again. It was great. Good friends. Good times.

So now I’m back with some good blog ideas and I will return soon with more totally random daily Rockgirl thoughts…

2 comments:

David Holt said...

I'm sorry I missed the blogger's bash since we had a special out of town guest. :-)

ml said...

Um, don't I know you from a moustache ride?